Thursday 15 January 2009

Welcome To Grimsby (home of the daft and the dammed)

We moved to Grimsby from "down South" nearly 10 years ago the locals have proved to be a source of amusement and horror. Grimsby is a town that is just about at the end of the railway track, which means that you don't pass through it to get to anywhere else. Until recently the population has been predominantly local (born & bred) meaning that outsiders are treated with suspicion and often contempt
A friend of mine a local GP, who had come to work here as an outsider once mused thoughtfully how Grimsby had once been surrounded by marsh lands, I asked him if maybe thats why the locals seemed so insular having once had the marshes to keep strangers out, he sighed long and hard, "no mate he said, those marshes were natures way of keeping these buggars in", although I laughed, I had to agree his sentiment.
Not long ago the good folk of Grimsby were obssessed with Asylum seekers, these poor souls who arrived on our shores seeking saftey were the scapegoats for all the crime and all ills that befell this town. Currently it's the "Polish workers", I am unsure if the problem is that these people are Polish, or its the fact that they "work"

PC is a long time-a-coming to Grimsby racist comments are common place, the small corner shops are known as the Paki-shops. Recently I was unfortunate enough to be admitted to hospital. Late at night another patient, an elderly woman who was hard of hearing was being attended by a senior nurse.
The conversation went as follows
Nurse; "which Dr Saw you Mary?"
Patient "what was that you said"
Nurse " Mary, who was the Dr you saw?"
Patient " I don't know"
Nurse " Was it one of the darkies?"
Patient "what ? "
Nurse " Mary..the Dr ..was it one of the wogs?"
Patient "yes it was, but I don't know which one"
Nurse "well no Mary, they all look the same darl don't they?"

To my shame I laughed, but Ohhhhh dear, in most places that conversation would be taboo, but not in Grimsby.

We set up this blog so that others might enjoy a little bit a a laugh, there is no malice intended.
I entitled this post Welcome to Grimsby, Home of the daft and the dammed...I hope I am neither daft OR dammed..just a passive observer
I hope my observations raise a smile here and there
please share yours with us and we will add them
best wishes
Joe Bloggs and Fish Dock Fanny
email us on
fish_dock_fanny@yahoo.co.uk

This picture taken from the road of an ad from Grimsby College ...well what can I say :)





5 comments:

  1. and so say all of us

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice....I'm just about to move from Kent back to the Grimsby area, having escaped over 12 years ago.....looking forward to observing the local culture from a distance again...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary and Elaine7 April 2009 at 02:28

    Having read this blog on us insular people, I must inform you that my wife and I are trying hard to escape!!
    However, we did wonder what misfortune prompted two apparently sane southerners to land on our doorstep.
    Are you perhaps refugee's from Essex?

    Gary and Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a fuckin shitehole and no mistake, I escaped by accident in the late 80's. I was out with a couple of fishermen mates and we'd been to the Bags Ball and had a slamming session at the bar. I woke up on their boat the Claggis on my way to Southampton.

    Decided to get off at Southampton and ended up staying, never seen a place that didn't have dog shit all over the path before, managed to get to the town centre without being stabbed and thought "this is nice" People are a bit poncy, they speak to you without holding a knife to your throat and asking for money but it made a change.

    I do miss the place and go back every couple of years for a piss up and a good fight, they don't let you hit Paki's down here so it makes a nice change to rob a Spar shop and twat a couple of Paki's. Sad to hear they've knocked down the Winter gardens, I do hope that cunt Sandra Brown was singing there at the time, I fucked her once ( well I think I did, hard to tell after a bottle of Smirnoff but it was either her or a crack in the car park )

    I come from the East Marsh area, fuck me that's got rough, when I was a kid we used to play outside. Simple kids games like kick the nigger and doorbell arson, that was my favourite, we'd ring the doorbell preferably a fat old person, when they answered we'd throw a bottle of turps on them followed by a match, fuck me don't fat people burn well.

    Couldn't do that now, the PC brigade would be calling the police. We used to take loads of acid and play in the park or Weelsby Woods, that came to an end when I was 5 and had to go to school. St. Johns primary, never seen so many thick cunts in my life, and that was just the teachers, Mr Riley fuckin kiddy diddler if I ever seen one, I told him to fuck off when he asked for my homework, devious cunt.

    Oh well I gotta get going, I'm a police officer now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im from humberston, a village outside cleethorpes, and yes grimsby is shocking, i come from the poshest part of grimsby&cleethorpes. When your driving down dock to get some fish in your lotus elise you get nasty looks from the druggies and alchies around Park street and ramsdens home furnishings, goodness im glad im not like them, i live in a house down humberston avenue, which is known as the poshest street in town, with houses going for as much as 1.4 million pounds! Ewwwww and the nunsthorpe estate, commonly known as 'the nunny' is horrendous, all of the ex jailbirds live round there..... Ill say no more....

    ReplyDelete